Howell Township Public Schools: Kindergarten Registration Instructions
Orientation: April and May, This is informational, informal, and an enjoyable introduction to the school for the youngster. Parents and students are urged to attend.
The district’s online pre-registration system enrolls a student in kindergarten for the 2017-18 school year. Registration consists of two steps:
- Online Pre-Registration: The parent/guardian uses a secure web portal to enter the student’s information, download copies of any required registration forms and schedule a registration appointment with the district's Central Registration Office.
- In-Person Registration Session: The parent/guardian visits the Central Registration Office in the district administration building and provides completed forms and copies of documents required to register the student.
NOTE: Parents/guardians with children that currently attend a preschool program in Howell Township Public Schools and will attend kindergarten in September 2017 do not need to register for kindergarten using the online registration system.
Important Notice for All Enrollments
Due to budgetary concerns and class size considerations, your child(ren) may not necessarily attend your home school. Decisions regarding where your child(ren) will attend will be made as soon as possible and be based upon seat availability. Transportation to and from school will be provided at district expense.
A. Documents You Will Need for Registration
Certain documents and information are required to register a student with Howell Township Public Schools. Links to all required and optional forms are provided in the registration checklist which is displayed when you finish online pre-registration.
Please bring all required documents to your in-person registration session. If required documents are missing you will need to re-schedule your in-person registration session.
Documents required for registration include:
- Certified birth certificate with raised seal.
- 2 proofs of residency (Examples of Proofs of Residency)
Accepted Proofs of Residency
A.One (1) of the following MUST be provided:
- Property tax bills, deeds, contracts of sale, leases, mortgages, signed letters from landlords and other evidence of property ownership, tenancy or residency.
B.One other document to show your attachment to the residence can be provided from A (above) or from any of the following:
- Voter registrations, licenses, permits, financial account information, utility bills, delivery receipts and other evidence of personal attachment to a particular location.
- Court orders, State agency agreements and other evidence of court or agency placements or directives.
- Receipts, bills, cancelled checks and other evidence of expenditures demonstrating personal attachment to a particular location or, where applicable, to support of the student
- Medical reports, counselor or social worker assessments, employment documents, benefit statements and other evidence of circumstances demonstrating, where applicable, family or economic hardship or temporary residency.
- Affidavits, certifications and sworn attestations pertaining to statutory criteria for school attendance from the parent, legal guardian, person keeping an "affidavit student", adult student, person(s) with whom a family is living or others as appropriate.
- Documents pertaining to military status and assignment.
- Any business record or document issued by a governmental entity.
Examples of Accepted Proof of Residence Documents
- Current property tax bill listing building and land containing the name(s) of the mortgagee(s)/property owner(s).
- Lease or a notarized Landlord Affidavit. The lease shall be current and must indicate the term of the lease, the address of the lease property, the name of the property owner, the name of the lessee, and a listing of tenants.
- Valid driver's license indicating physical address of residence.
- Valid state photo identification card indicating physical address of residence.
- Public assistance or social security identification issued within the past thirty (30) days indicating physical address of residence.
- Any other documentation within the past thirty (30) days deemed relevant by the school district indicating the physical address of residence (e.g. current utility bill, current credit card statement, current mortgage statement or current vehicle registration).
The Board of Education shall consider the totality of information and documentation offered by an applicant, and shall not deny enrollment based on failure to provide a particular form or subset of documents without regard to other evidence presented.
The affidavits and registration forms submitted are legal documents. By signing these forms, you are certifying that the information being submitted is true to the best of your knowledge. In the event that any of the information submitted is found to be fraudulent, you may be subject to criminal and civil penalties and tuition may be assessed for any period of ineligible attendance as stated above.
- Completed Residency Affidavit Section A and Sections B or C if they apply (Section A, Section B, Section C).
- Student’s current physical exam and immunization record.
Please contact the Central Registration Office at 732-751-2480 x3860 if you have any questions about registration.
B. Find the School the Student Will Attend
Use the district’s street-to-school list to find the student’s school based on the student’s home address.
- Open the street-to-school list by clicking on this link: District Street-to-School List.
- Find your street name.
- The elementary school for this address is listed to the left of the street name. A key to the abbreviations is shown at the bottom of each page.
- Note the school name and continue with Step C.
C. Pre-Register the Student for the 2017-18 School Year
- Visit the district’s registration website: https://registration.howell.k12.nj.us
- Click the “Start” button on the left side of the page to begin.
- IMPORTANT: Write down the user name and password you use when creating your parent/guardian account.
- Follow the instructions to register a student.
- Schedule an in-person appointment with the central registration office as part of online pre-registration or by calling the Central Registration Office at 732-751-2480 x3860. Due to security considerations, you must have a scheduled appointment. Unscheduled appointments cannot be honored. Allow yourself time to complete all required documents before attending your appointment.
You can view a step-by-step guide at this link: Online Pre-Registration Guide for Parents and Guardians.
D. Daycare Busing
- The district provides busing to certain daycare facilities as defined in this list: Associated Daycare Centers for 2017-18 School Year.
- If the student will attend one of these daycare centers please notify the front office of the school the student will attend.
E. Attend the In-Person Registration Appointment
- Complete any required forms before your scheduled in-person registration appointment.
- Attend the registration appointment you scheduled in Step C.
Provide completed forms and copies of required registration documents to the district registrar.
District Central Registration Office
200 Squankum-Yellowbrook Road
Farmingdale, NJ 07727